Tea-stained origami flowers

Time for some wedding talk! I mentioned a while ago that I wanted to go down the track of making origami flowers for the big day, rather than real flowers – because tiger lilies aren’t available in November unless you’re willing to pay big bucks for them!  It’s taking WAAAAY longer than I thought, but it will be completely worth it in the end.

The majority of the flowers will be orange, but to break up the bouquet a little I wanted to add in something extra to match the theme.  I still liked the idea of using sheet music, but the white paper seemed too bright against the orange, so I toned it down by dying the paper with tea!

Here’s a little how-to if you want to try it for yourself:

201305

  • Step 1: I used already-used tea bags – I didn’t want to waste good tea bags in case it didn’t work! I laid them out in a paper-sized baking tray
  • Step 2: Cover with boiling water and leave to stew until you like the colour of it
  • Step 3: To prepare the paper I dabbed one of the tea bags all over the page, which added to the texture too, as some of the tea leaves stuck
  • Step 4: Soak the paper for 15-20 minutes – the longer the better! (You may have to press the paper down until it has soaked through a bit, so it doesn’t keep floating to the top, although make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the tray!)
  • Step 5: Once the desired colour is achieved, lay out to dry on a cooling rack overnight

The last picture shows the difference between the beginning and end result – exactly what I wanted!

They look fantastic all folded up into flowers…

P1050759

P1050762

…ready to add to the bouquet!

Next on my wedding list: now that our ‘Save the Dates’ are out, I have to start thinking about invitations! And buying bridesmaid’s dresses, and booking cars, and sorting out a timeline for the day – the list goes on and on!

(Sweet side note – the sheet music I used is the song that Mr EP and I first played together in our worship band, a few days before he asked me out!)

εїз

Advertisements

Kusudama flowers (part 1)

While looking at options for making my own bouquet I was inspired by this pin – fabric flowers with a knitting needle as a stem!  I decided to put my stash of excess knitting needles to good use…

My collection of straight knitting needles!

(it was a good excuse to organise them really!)

… and try them out as stems for the kusudama flowers I’ve been wanting to try for a while, using some of the leftover sheet music from my last origami project.

Kusudama flowers in progress

I used this tutorial – best one I’ve seen – and it worked out well that the tops of the knitting needles stick out the top of the flowers.  The petals took a while to make – not long to fold, but waiting for the glue to dry.  I wish I’d used a hot glue gun instead of PVA – the petals would probably stick better to the plastic needle too.

Kusudama flowers in progress

Kusudama flowers in progress

I think I will try these out again with a hot glue gun to see the difference, before I decide whether to use these flowers for the wedding bouquet.  More photos of the finished project to come, once the glue is fully dried!

Origami flowers

I’ve been thinking about the idea of substituting real flowers for paper flowers at my wedding, to cut down on costs.  Let me know what you think…

To try it out I used a pile of old sheet music to make lillies, which we were already thinking about for the flowers.  I also liked the look of the carambola flowers, and though slightly tricky the first time they got easier to make.

P1040521

P1040523 P1040524 P1040526 P1040527

P1040528

Here’s the YouTube tutorial for the lillies, and here for the carambola flowers (yes its in German, but you can still follow what she does!)

When I get some glue and find some more time I want to try out these kusudama flowers – this bouquet with the buttons, and this one made out of sheet music – maybe even make them into a traditional kusudama ball for the ends of the aisles like this!  Here’s the tutorial I found at Folding Trees.

Stay tuned for more sheet music crafts, I have lots left over!