DIY Butterfly Sleeve Tunic

P1050122 - Copy Just thought I would share with you all this super easy top that I made! The fabric is knit – I picked it up from the Spotlight remnants section for $3.50.  That’s the total cost of the whole project: $3.50!

I knew I needed to base the sizing on an existing top, but other than that it was all very much trial and error! The major error being that I cut the neckline too wide, so much so that it stretched right down over my shoulders! Quick fix: I used the fabric left from the cut-out to make a little collar that I re-attached.  Note to self – cut small first, then cut more if you need to! A minor error was that when I sewed the lines down the sides I did them too close together, so I couldn’t get the bottom of the tunic over my hips! Not-so-quick fix: I pinned out a wider seam, UNPICKED the existing seam and sewed it again.  Note to self – allow for 1” either side more than you need!



Result: LOVE! Its loose enough around my chest that its not constricting, and snug enough around my hips that its flattering.  Perfect for a cocktail night out, over a black singlet and a pair of leggings.

Favourite photos of the night – being a poser with Becs before she smothered me in a bear hug!


Anyone interested in a tutorial? I’d love to have an excuse to make another one of these!


Goodies in the mail!

I love it when I get things in the mail – it happens so rarely!  Sitting on my couch the other day I heard a bang outside and what could have been a knock on my door.  When I looked out to check I found a courier envelope on the doorstep with all this inside…

Goodies in the mail!

It was a birthday swap package from Ozduchess from Ravelry! It was supposed to be part of a bigger swap, but as I missed the dates we just decided to do our own mini one.

I’m not sure if they project bags are handmade, but the butterfly fabric is beautiful.  And Cadbury Easter eggs all for me!  My favourite part though is the ball of Bendigo Mills yarn, which is a deep purple colour – I’ve been dying to try their yarn for a long time! Thanks heaps Ozduchess 🙂

To come…

I’ve been making something out of this blob of unidentified yarn:

Unknown blob - before

I don’t know whether its acrylic or wool, or even what weight it is.  I got it from Italy in another swap a few years ago, and its been sitting there since then waiting for the perfect project.  Its nearly finished – I’ve just been continuing with it until I ran out of the yarn – so completed photos to come soon!