DIY: Red shirt refashion

I finished this one a while ago, and it’s slowly become my all-time favourite shirt!

I got this from the Salvation Army store for $5.  It’s a size 16, but the fabric and pattern were so nice that I couldn’t leave it.  I’ve been reading Merrick’s blog and the Refashionista’s adventures (highly recommended!) for a while now, so I felt up to the challenge of resizing it to fit me.

Here’s how we started:

P1050582

You can see that it’s just a little too big on me! The top of the shoulders hangs well off my shoulders, the base of the arm hole is nearly at my waist, and you can’t even see my hands because the sleeves are so long! What you can’t see is that there is also lots of extra width.

The first thing I did was cut off the sleeves along the seams.  I then tried it on again inside out and pinned several places down the sides where I wanted to take it in, then stitched down that line and cut off the excess.

P1050585-001

Then came the monster challenge of the sleeves.  I’ve never done ANYTHING like this before, but I’ve read a lot of tutorials over time about how it should be done, so I had a general idea.  Unfortunately I didn’t take any photos of what I did, I think I was concentrating too intensely! First I cut down the armholes so they would fit closer to my armpit than my waist, and at the same time cut the shoulders back to my actual shoulders.  I also knew that I wanted the sleeves to be shorter, rather than full length, so I tried them on my arms, measured about where I wanted them, and cut them down in the same shape to match the armhole.  To sew it to the body I placed the sleeves right-way-in inside the body of the top which was inside out (so the right sides were together), and stitched the seam.  (Full disclosure – I had to unpick the first one and do it again, because I attached the wrong arm to the wrong side!!)  There is a little bit of puckering where I could have sewn it better, but I’m the only one that would ever notice, and its really not that bad for my first go!

P1050587

The finished product! I’m super proud of my first attempt at resizing clothing!  It is still a little loose under the arms, and could have cut off a little more width from the body, but I like that its not a snug fit.  As I said, its fast becoming my favourite top – I’ve worn it out for dinner over black leggings with boots, and most recently with the front tucked into my lace top jeans.  Here’s how I wore it when we went to see Disney on Ice – belted over beige skinny jeans with matching red flats (‘scuse the rubbish late-night photo!):

P1050679

I think I have the refashion bug now – just waiting for another chance to go to the local op shop again to see what I can find!  Meanwhile, Dad has passed on a couple of old polo shirts, I’m thinking I’ll try out Merrick’s idea next…

εїз

Advertisements

DIY T-shirt Blanket

MusicalButterfly: DIY T-shirt Blanket

I’ve seen several of these quilts around on Pinterest, and when Mr EP mentioned that he had a few old band t-shirts that he didn’t wear anymore, I thought it would be a good chance to try one out.  Since I have no quilting experience I made it more of a blanket, backing the t-shirts with a soft fleecy fabric.

Before I go into the details of what I did, lets take a walk back through memory lane and have a look at Mr EP wearing a couple of the t-shirts when he was younger!

MusicalButterfly: DIY T-shirt Blanket - young Mr EP wearing t-shirts

As I said, I have never done any quilting before, so I really just did what I thought would work! If you have any suggestions for better ways of doing things I would be grateful for you passing on your knowledge.

Step 1:
MusicalButterfly: DIY T-shirt Blanket - step 1

Step 2: (stay tuned for a hilarious photo outtake with this shirt!)MusicalButterfly: DIY T-shirt Blanket - step 2

Step 3: (recognise those old t-shirts?)
MusicalButterfly: DIY T-shirt Blanket - step 3

Step 4:
MusicalButterfly: DIY T-shirt Blanket - step 4

Step 5:
MusicalButterfly: DIY T-shirt Blanket - step 5

Step 6:
MusicalButterfly: DIY T-shirt Blanket - step 6

Just a shame that I didn’t take a photo of the whole completed blanket! It was a rush in the end finishing it off and wrapping it up ready to gift, but I’m assured that he loves it! Its the perfect size for snuggling on the couch.

Up next – another one for Miss Stiletto, made from her childhood clothes! I think I will go with the same technique, using sweatshirts as the backing rather than a single piece of fabric.

~ εїз ~ εїз ~ εїз ~

Photo outtake: Mr EP ‘hulking’ out of his shirt…
P1050371

εїз