FO: Balaclava

So its getting colder around here – winter has well and truly settled. If you have to ride your scooter to work at night, like Mr EP does, then you get a cooooold face!  Solution: knitting, of course.    After hunting around on Ravelry I came across a pattern which looked like it would work.

Balaclava for a scooter

Link to project page and pattern on Ravelry

I used just over one ball of 8ply for this.  Even though I got them from the same place at the same time, there is a huge difference in the colour – which we only just noticed when we were taking the photos!  The modelled shots are closer to the actual colour, and you can see its not so noticeable in person.

Balaclava for a scooter

Balaclava for a scooter

Balaclava for a scooter

Unfortunately I had to change the pattern a bit at the end – the gap was way too big.  First I added a row of crochet along the bottom and sides of the gap, hoping to tighten it up a bit.  Didn’t make much difference.  I ended up bringing the sides in to meet each other with a few sneaky stitches.  Its easy to spot if you know what to look for, but not really that obvious when he’s wearing it.  If I was to make this again, I would have less rows back and forth, and bind off less stitches.

Still on the needles

I’ve finished the back of the cricket vest, and I’ve done the ribbing and one pattern repeat of the front… Still plenty of time to finish it – cricket season doesn’t start until November!

Cricket vest in progress