Kusudama flowers (part 1)

While looking at options for making my own bouquet I was inspired by this pin – fabric flowers with a knitting needle as a stem!  I decided to put my stash of excess knitting needles to good use…

My collection of straight knitting needles!

(it was a good excuse to organise them really!)

… and try them out as stems for the kusudama flowers I’ve been wanting to try for a while, using some of the leftover sheet music from my last origami project.

Kusudama flowers in progress

I used this tutorial – best one I’ve seen – and it worked out well that the tops of the knitting needles stick out the top of the flowers.  The petals took a while to make – not long to fold, but waiting for the glue to dry.  I wish I’d used a hot glue gun instead of PVA – the petals would probably stick better to the plastic needle too.

Kusudama flowers in progress

Kusudama flowers in progress

I think I will try these out again with a hot glue gun to see the difference, before I decide whether to use these flowers for the wedding bouquet.  More photos of the finished project to come, once the glue is fully dried!

6 thoughts on “Kusudama flowers (part 1)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s